How to test my first instal (RPi + BitWizard)

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
philanyware

Hi,

I'm trying to control my first LED with DMX. Have never used it before.
I've got QLC+ 4.12.2 installed on a RPi 3 with BitWizard DMX Decoder and the software seems to be working. I'm looking at simple desk in the web browser and I see 4 coloured icons above the first 4 channels (I loaded a RGBW fixture that I saved from QLC on my laptop).
It looks like it should control the RGBW light but the light doesn't change.

I have a 4 channel decoder connected to the dmx cable. I can press buttons on the decoder to make the light change colours but moving the sliders on the 4 channels in QLC simple desk does not change the light.

The cable I'm using is CAT5, about 2m long and I wired it to a 3 pin PMX plug based on the 3 pin plug in this diagram:
https://sirs-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -3-pin.jpg
1: ground
2: data -
3: data +

I plugged a DMX tester (3 pin plug with 2 coloured LEDs) into the BitWizard DMX output and it flashes so something is happening.

What should I do to figure out where the problem is?
I'm sure I've missed some noob thing.

This was my install process for RPi & QLC+...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12HN ... J4Eyc/edit

TIA,
Phil
edogawa

You didn't tell what decoder you are using. I assume it's similar to the one in the link below?
If so, I'll ask even if it's trivial and obvious, did you set it to DMx receive mode (DIP 10 off) and the same DMX address qlc uses for sending data?

https://www.amazon.de/Channel-Decoder-C ... B0794WQT8M

(this one has a led to show if signal arrives, so there's no need for an addidional DMX tester, just like the cheap 24 channel AliExpress RGB decoders I am using with success on RPi3 - with an Enttec USBDMX Pro Mk2, not the Bitwizard, I have no experience with that one)
GGGss

If you are pressing buttons on your decoder - it works.
But did you change the mode of it to receive DMX? And at what address? The addess you set there should correspond with the address set in QLC+. Obvious no?

If the 4 first channels in simple mode show 'icons' then you are sending channel 1-4 - your decoder should have base address 1
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
philanyware

Ah, sorry - the decoder is a D4 din rail. It looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Constant-Voltage ... B072QC4M9K
It's not branded.

Thanks, no question is too obvious for me.
Here's a photo of the wiring: https://snipboard.io/LGHKoA.jpg
The light is on because it comes on when I supply power to the decoder, not because I successfully sent a DMX signal to it.

I can't see any sign of settings to change the decoder from input to output mode but as you can see in the photo it has DMX IN and DMX out connections. Does this mean it can do both at once? Or do I still need to set it in receive mode somehow?
The wires going into the DMX IN are from pins 1, 2 & 3 on the bitwizard connector.

The decoder is set to 009. I've tried sliding channels 9-13 and also used the DMX keypad to set all channels (1-255) to zero and 255. The light does not change. I've also tried the decoder on CH 001.

The DMX cable is connected to the right hand male socket on Bit Wizard.
Since my previous post I did get another light (with built in DMX decoder) to work on the left hand female socket of the BitWizard. Do both sockets work all the time? Do I have to set some jumpers or something to make them both work?

I also wonder if I need to check my wiring. These are how the DMX pins are connected to the decoder terminals:
Pin 1: Ground/Shield
Pin 2: Data -
Pin 3: Data +

Thanks for your help.
Phil
edogawa

As I said, I don't know the Bitwizard board, but from reading up (quickly) I understand that it can only do Input or Output at a time, not both, neither two parallel output universes.

The female XLR socket is indeed an output, by DMX standard (unlike audio equipment).

So it seems logical to me that you can't drive your decoder from the male socket, but on the other hand why do you see signal in your tester...

Your Pin assignment is correct. I've read stories about old DMX equipment,(if I remember well) Martin moving lights, with data + and - reversed, but I've never come across such a unit, and it's irrelevant for what you are trying...
philanyware

Ok, and if I start to use those 2 things on the front of my head (I think they are called eyes) there are DMX IN and DMX OUT labels on the board next to the 2 XLR sockets. So that would make sense.

I plugged the decoder into the out socket and the result is the same - the light is on and white, no matter if I change all 512 channels to 0 or 255.

Then I connected the other (proven to work) lights into the 3 DMX OUT connectors on the decoder and they do obey the QLC keypay commands. So it looks like my DIY cat5 cable connections are all fine.

Now I'm wondering if I have to change some setting on the decoder to make it respond to DMX commands or something.