Exclusive/extended use of HID (e.g. keyboards, mice)

qfulmina

A thought crossed my mind and I'm not sure if this would be helpful, make sense, and not be too big of a change:

When a attach e.g. a second keyboard via USB to my computer by default both keyboards are used as inputs equally and in the same way. But one of the keyboards could be claimed exclusively by QLC+.

This way one keyboard could be used as the system's default and enter texts or doing whatsoever a keyboard normally does.

The second (QLC+ exclusive) keyboard could be programmed for shortcuts in QLC+. And similar to the already available HIDs like joysticks, the second keyboard could drive QLC+ even when not in focus. And it would not send keystrokes anywhere else thus not interfering with other applications running on the system.

Would it be a major change? Or could it be accomplished by having the ability to choose keyboards, mice and the like as a HID input plugin? Does it make sense?
mcallegari

Sounds like a very exotic use case to me.
Not sure if the effort (if it's even possible to make it work across all supported OSes...) is worth the potential adoption.
Most of the users are using external controllers like MIDI or OSC (this one mostly free of charge) with feedbacks and everything. And to be honest I think it's the best practice.
MichelSliepenbeek

An example of a use case could be the use of a POS (Point Of Sale) keyboard.

Pos Keyboard.png

Because of the Transparent Caps, you can customise (by color and Text) your buttons like you want it.
As they are quite expensive, it takes a lot of time to create the templates and you also need a color printer, i do agree that this is "a very exotic use case".

Maybe it is a better idea to spent your energy on finding a way to dynamically change the scribble scripts on MIDI controllers like the Behringer X Touch, Presonus Faderport, Icon Qcon, Ableton Push, ..... :)
I guess you would make a lot of QLC+ users happy with that.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
qfulmina

True.

And for a fully fledged control booth those inputs are the way to go.

Use cases I had in mind:

Having to control the show from on-stage with limited budget, limited space (at site and/or at transport), limited capabilities. E.g. DJs or one (or few) person theatre or music shows.

Or techies touring with a group to the most remote places and the smallest venues (e.g. classrooms) having to run everything show related on one notebook they keep balancing on their lap when e.g. a small second mouse with mouse clicks configured to run QLC+ functions in the background while fiddling with the music could save her/his life.

For example I once had to implement a show where the scenes had to be switched by a wireless presentation remote that, well, just sent a PgUp or a PgDown keystroke. (Yes, it works already, when QLC+ stays in focus or other workarounds.)

I know artists touring with one suitcase by train who could make use of it.

And since keyboards and mice are cheap and widely available you can get a backup almost instantly when something breaks or goes missing. Joysticks already can accomplish this in QLC+ but are less available.

You're right to question if it's worth the hassle and what about the other platforms.

Maybe I'll experiment on a solution just for my local build of QLC+.

Thank you so far.
qfulmina

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:20 am Maybe it is a better idea to spent your energy on finding a way to dynamically change the scribble scripts on MIDI controllers like the Behringer X Touch, Presonus Faderport, Icon Qcon, Ableton Push, ..... :)
I guess you would make a lot of QLC+ users happy with that.
I did some tests with scribble texts of the Behringer X Touch years ago in a different context.

IIRC QLC+ has its issues with the Behringer X Touch (not Extender) or does it work meanwhile? I don't own the extender.