Program a fire light

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
AgoraLive

Hi

I have been working on achieving to program a "fire light" for weeks not, but have not come up with a anything yet. I basically want to do this: https://youtu.be/mzwd3-YF5Ks

I can't figure it out though :-(

I think a chaser, which I will use in a Show, but how do I fade between two light positions to make the transactions seem smooth like a fire?

Or "must" this be done with a physical DMX console?
GGGss

AgoraLive wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:05 am Hi

I have been working on achieving to program a "fire light" for weeks not, but have not come up with a anything yet. I basically want to do this: https://youtu.be/mzwd3-YF5Ks

I can't figure it out though :-(
Welcome to the forum,

If you watch the video closely, you'll notice that the guy uses scenes (cue's). So create some.
Do not use channel values of 255 but stick to a 180-ish value. I come back to this later. HTP is the keyword here. (Highest Takes Precedence)
Create a red, orange, faint orange, and 'glow' cue.
Put them together in a chaser with some fade-in / fade-out times. The hold-time you can set to your convenience.
Now you should see an ambient fire burning.

We'll introduce some flickering now:
Again, create a bunch of scenes (cue's if you like to call them that) with values __above__ 180. Don't overdo it ... "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
Now, We will take advantage of the HTP order - if a value is higher than the set value, the higher value wins.
Create a 2nd chaser and call it "flickering". Include the just created scenes, and set fade-time to very fast, and hold times also very fast. Make sure you choose asymmetrical values. We don't want to count to three here.

On your VC, create a button, bind it to your main chaser. Create a 2nd button on your VC and bind it to the flickering chaser.
Go to Produce and press 1, then press 2. This will show you the combination of the set (slow) changes and on top of it, the faster erratic flickering chaser.
AgoraLive wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:05 am I think a chaser, which I will use in a Show, but how do I fade between two light positions to make the transactions seem smooth like a fire?
If you are in a theatrical environment, think about using main chasers, with sub-chasers inside. This will help you keep track. Do not use the show feature - it will frustrate you endlessly. Mark my words.
AgoraLive wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:05 am Or "must" this be done with a physical DMX console?
Rest assured, QLC+ is way way WAY! more powerful than the gear the mister in the youtube video uses.
The idea of bringing in a fan and using cut baking paper is brilliant. This creates even more erratic movements in play.

EnJoY and have fun. Where in need, ask questions.
3rd advice: if __you__ can spot the difference in a look, the audience won't (!) They simply will be bewondered by your creations.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
AgoraLive

Thank you for the reply, I will try and work with this a little bit later tonight :)
MichelSliepenbeek

Rest assured, QLC+ is way way WAY! more powerful
Just to prove this, you could also use a different approach with two RGB Matrices running together.

First if all you need to create a Fixture Group (just because RGB Matrices work on Fixture Groups).

For the Color Changes you use a RGB Matrix with Pattern = Plasma, Control Mode = Default(RGB) and Preset = Fire.

To add the Flickering Effect you can use a Second RGB Matrix with Pattern = Noise, Control Mode = Default(RGB) and Noise Coverage = High.
Set the Blend Mode to Subtract and (to start with) select a Blend Color that is Mid Grey (R128, G128, B128).

Now it is up to you to play with the timing parameters.
In general The Flickering Effect (Noise) should run faster than the Colour Changer (Plasma).

Furthermore you might make some changes to the Blend color: because you basically work with colors in the range of Yellow, Orange and Red, the value for Blue is probably not relevant, but playing with the values for Red and Green will let you fine tune the Flickering Effect.
Be aware that if you Subtract all your Red, you end up with only Green, so it is best to use a Higher Value to subtract from Green then you use for subtracting Red.

Finally you could use a Collection to start both RGB Matrices from one button on your virtual Console.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"