Advanced automated shows (theatrical context)

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
qfulmina

Hello everybody,

for use in a context of theater I'd like to utilize QLC+ in an advanced automated manner:

A cue list should contain all scenes and transitions between them so that one event (key press, mouse click, whatsoever) triggers the next cue.

As of my understanding this is achieved by using a chaser.

For the examples sake image two fixtures in two universes. Let's call one "The Front Light" and one "The Spot".

I'd like to set up different settings e.g. "The Front Light" at 100%, "The Front Light" at 50%, "The Spot" at 100%.

I create three Scenes with the according fixtures set to the according values. I can mix these scenes using buttons (or faders) on the Virtual Console.

I can not put "The Spot" at 100% after "The Front Light" at 50% in the chaser since it would black out "The Front Light" once it starts "The Spot".

I can however build a Show that can e.g. fade in "The Spot" after some time with "The Front Light" at 50% still running.

This works well, but it automatically creates Sequences that hide my prepared Scenes. But I'd like to use these Scenes as building blocks and furthermore: want to be able to change settings to the Scenes (e.g. change channel values of "The Front Light") and have this been reflected in all usages if that Scene (e.g. in the fades).

My current workaround: Unhide the Scenes in the XML file of the project.

What's the correct approach if there is one?

Thank you all.
MichelSliepenbeek

I can not put "The Spot" at 100% after "The Front Light" at 50% in the chaser since it would black out "The Front Light" once it starts "The Spot".

Suggestion 1:
Don't try to control everything in one chaser, but instead use separate chasers for your Spot and for your Front Light.

Have a look at the example overhere: viewtopic.php?p=70367#p70367.
It shows you how you can run two chasers in parallel, where you can control the level of each chaser with a separate sub master and how to use 2 speed dials per chaser to control the "Step Time" of the chaser and the Speed of the Functions within the chaser.
If necessary you can add 2 more Speed Dials for the Functions in your Chaser: one for Fade In (Set Fade In Factor to a Value, and set Duration Factor and Fade Out Factor to "Not Sent"), Duration (Set Duration Factor to a Value, and set Fade In and Fade Out Factor to "Not Sent") and Fade Out (Set Fade Out Factor to a Value, and set Duration Factor and Fade In Factor to "Not Sent")

If you are familiar with Loopback you can create Scenes/Sequences like Start Chaser Spot, Forward Chaser Spot, Start Chaser Front lights and Forward Chaser Front Lights Spot.
Now you can create an extra chaser (you could call it your Master Chaser) with those Scenes/Sequences.

Suggestion 2:
Why not use Collections (https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/function-ma ... ion-editor).
If you set Front Light at 50% in the first step of your chaser, use a Collection with Front Light at 50% and Spot at 100% for the second step of your chaser.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
qfulmina

Thanks for your quick reply and your thoughts.

I feel a bit dumb because I thought I tried solution 2 and it didn't work out. But I guess I missed something then. Sorry.

But suggestion 1 is worth a try and I guess something I wouldn't have come up with although I had something like that in the back of my mind.

Thanks again!
GGGss

In theatrical setting, we tend to use LTP mode solely. So latest values stick unless reset.
So in your case, cue 2 sets front @100, cue 3 sets spots @50 and they will stay that way until you call a scene front @0 and spot @0.
Using QLC+ in this way, you can manage nice fades also...
I create chasers and sub chasers. Mostly per chapter since this allows me to quickly pick up whatever scenes / chapters they want to rehearse.
Changing your fixtures to LTP is done here: https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/fixture-man ... properties
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
sbenejam

This is my last workspace for a theater play. I used collections to create different scenes mixing (basic led color scenes and dimmers) and a chaser to go through this collections/scenes in sequence plus some manual controls to reinforce some parts when I needed.
Asteroide_B612.qxw
(108.11 KiB) Downloaded 40 times