Rotation speed control in mixed DMX channels

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
GRE

When working in budget environments, we face equipment where moving heads or effect bars have rotational speed control on one DMX channel and, for example, a strobe.
Currently, I do not know of a simple solution for synchronous control of the rotational speed of gobos, prisms or mirrors in devices from different manufacturers. Speed ​​Dial has no way, as far as I know, to map time to DMX values ​​on the output. Maybe in the next release it will be possible ;)
My idea: controlling the rotation of prisms, gobos or mirrors of various shitty devices using only one slider on the VC.
I created the project to help you get around the current limitations of QLC+ and to help authors understand our problems.
The project does not contain fixtures - please add the ones you have. In "Set prism rotation speed X Moving Head Group X" scenes you need to add the fixtures you have with the correct speed values ​​for the prism/gobo/ or whatever you want. Positive values ​​(for me) is clockwise rotation. Negative values ​​represent counter clockwise rotation. Zero means stop :)
In the first step, I created a table in which I recorded the DMX values ​​for the same rotational speeds of different (groups of) devices. The more DMX values ​​you save for different speeds, the better. In the example project - seven for each group (device type). The qxw is flexible - you can save 7 rotation speeds for one type of device, 5 or 9 for another type, etc.
In the second step, add/create scenes in which you set the saved DMX speed values ​​for your groups (models). It will probably be the case that your gobos or prisms rotate at the same speed in 3 types of moving heads - in one group you set 99, in another 50, and in the third 175 and on different DMX channels ;) And that's ok if they rotate at the same speed at these DMX values.
Too much writing: the Prism_Gobo_Mirror_rotation_control 2.qxw project has Cue Lists hidden under the slider. Download and check. Maybe you still have an idea for a working project that will help you synchronize the rotational speed of different devices easily. Share your ideas please. This is just workaround - maybe in the next version of QLC+ it will only take a few clicks ;)
Attachments
Prism_Gobo_Mirror_rotation_control.qxw
(9.97 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Prism_Gobo_Mirror_rotation_control 2.qxw
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Greg-SpeedRotationControl.qxi
(436 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
MichelSliepenbeek

Have you thought about using Channel modifiers (https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/fixture-man ... properties).

You can use it for instance if you have Fixtures from different manufacturers, that have different Dimming Curves.
Pick one Fixture Type as Reference and set it to Lineair, now use either Logarithmic or Exponential for the other Fixture Types to find a matching (steeper/flatter) Dimming Curve.

In your situation you could create Channel modifiers for each fixture type. You could start with making it "Stepped".
000 - 035 = 000
036 - 070 = Speed -2
071 - 105 = Speed -1
106 - 140 = Speed 0
141 - 175 = Speed +1
176 -210 = Speed +2
210 - 255 = 255

You can optimise this by adding more steps (depending on how much time you want to spend on it :) :) ).
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
GRE

MichelSliepenbeek thanks for the idea. I also wanted to use this option. This is a good solution if the rotation speed is controlled by a dedicated DMX channel.
However, channel modifiers cut off access to other DMX channel functions.
For example: DMX channel 8 - color wheel.
1-139 color selection,
140-195 -Forward rainbow effect from fast to slow
196-199 - Rotation stop
200-255 - Backward rainbow effect from slow to fast
When using the channel modifier to control the raibow effect, I lose access to color selection. Identical problem with the static gobo channel.
Channel modifiers limit the functions of "mixed" DMX channels (control of multiple functions on one DMX channel).
I know, the problem mainly concerns budget equipment :)
MichelSliepenbeek

In that case i would create a channel modifier like this:

1-139 color selection (= linear)

140-195 -Forward rainbow effect from fast to slow (= stepped)
140 - 151 = Speed -2
152 - 162 = Speed -1
163 - 174 = Speed 0
175 - 185 = Speed +1
186 -195 = Speed +2

196-199 - Rotation stop

200-255 - Backward rainbow effect from slow to fast (= stepped)
200 - 211 = Speed -2
212 - 222 = Speed -1
223 - 234 = Speed 0
235 - 245 = Speed +1
246 -255 = Speed +2

I had a simular problem with some of my fixtures: they have a channel 000 - 127 = Master level and 128 - 255 = Strobe (Slow to Fast).
I only use that channel for Master Level (restrict it with a Channel Modifier not to exceed 127) and use a RGB Matrix with Pattern = Strobe, if i want a strobe (that lets me use a speed dial to run my Fixtures in Sync as well :) ).
I must admit it is not perfect: in the Fixture Monitor they are only half as bright as they should be. :)
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
GRE

MichelSliepenbeek you are right - setting color selection as linear unlocks access. Good option.
Dimmer and strobe on one DMX channel is a well-known problem.
Download and test my solution. Let me know if it works for you too. 2 faders control DMX channel 1. It works as I expected on version 4.13.0. This is just workaround.
Attachments
GREG-LoopbackVolumeAndStrobe.qxi
(508 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
Dimmer and strobe.qxw
(3.67 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
GRE

MichelSliepenbeek sorry, I sent my test project.
Please change the High limit for the DImmer slider to 127 and the Low limit to 128 for the Strobe slider. And then it should be ok for your fixture.
MichelSliepenbeek

This is a nice solution if you want 2 separate sliders for Dimmer and Strobe. Thank you for sharing.

As i already made my choice not to use the Build in Strobe of my Fixtures, but instead use a RGB Matrix with Pattern = Strobe, it will not work for me: i still do need the Channel Modifier (to tell the RGB matrix to stay within the 000 - 127 range).