2 questions - auto-fade, and cancel override

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
surfdabbler

A couple of general questions. I'm not sure whether these capabilities exist in QLC+. I haven't found anything, but just need to ask in case I've missed it somewhere. I'm using QLC4...maybe they are possible in QLC5?

1) Is there a way to tell QLC to always ramp up/down the brightness for a particular fixture? For old bulb fixtures, you never want to turn them on or off suddenly, because it dramatically shortens the bulb life. Our old lighting desk would force a fade up/down over about 2 seconds. I know I can set fade in and out for scenes, and build the usage of the lights around these scenes, but there are extra cases that can't be covered by scene fade times, (one example, when a manual override level is cancelled). Is there a way to set this at the fixture definition, or something?

2) Is it possible for a scene or a button to cancel any outstanding overrides? For example, if one scene is used, and during the scene, the moving head position is manually overridden to follow an actor. If the next scene wants to set a new position for the moving head, this won't happen unless the operator specifically cancels the overrides for the moving head position. Is it possible for the selection of the scene to automatically turn off the manual overrides? (Either selectively, or even a global "Cancel all overrides" would help.
MichelSliepenbeek

I guess that for your manual overrides you use a Fader in Level Mode.
What you could try is to create a specific scene that sets your channel to 255 (and Fade In and Fade Out to the values you want) and then change your Fader (from Level Mode) to PlayBack Mode and add the scene you just made.

Next step could be to add this slider in a solo frame together with a Button "Kill Override" (just create a Dummy Scene on a Dummy Fixture, it's just to get the Solo Frame to do its work).
An other option is to create a Script: just use the Stop Function option for all the overrides you want to kill (to be safe add a Wait(50Ms) at the end of your script).
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
surfdabbler

Thanks for the ideas. It sounds like a lot of work to set this up for each light, but I might try this out and see.

I had a look at the "Stop Function", but it looks like it can only be used to turn off scenes, not to cancel manual overrides?
MichelSliepenbeek

If you use a Slider in Level Mode, you can also box the "Monitor the selected channels and update the slider level".
If you do so, you get an option to "Override Reset Control" with an External Control (it will only show up if you box the "Monitor ...." option, so you won't notice untill you use it).
Unfortunately you cannot use Fade In / Fade Out for this.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"